Posture and Stance Exercises: Look More Confident Instantly
Some people have a way about them that just makes them stand out and come across with self confidence. But why? Quite often it’s to do with their posture and stance. That’s because the way you hold yourself has a major impact on your body language and the perception people have of you. You don’t need to say anything to give a negative first impression; poor posture can give it away on its own.
Have you downloaded The 4 Step Confidence Plan?
Simple posture and stance exercises
These simple posture and stance exercises can make a massive difference to the way you hold yourself and will help to build self-confidence. You’ll need a mirror for the exercises, preferably a full-size one so that you can see your whole body.
1. Stand in front of the mirror – but, before you do that, focus on making a conscious effort to stand naturally, just as you normally would.
2. Now look at yourself – have a really good look and ask yourself a simple question: ‘Do I look confident?’ and if not consider whether your posture and stance is helping you.
3. Try experimenting a little. These tips should really help:
– Try holding your head up.
– Consciously push by getting your chin up to do this.
– Then breathe in and push your chest out a little.
– Keep your back straight.
– Then push your shoulders back. Your aim is to look relaxed and yet aware and proud.
– The simple act of positioning one foot slightly in front of the other can make a difference, try it to see what I mean. This can help you to look more confident when standing in front of or within a group. The alternative is to ‘plant’ yourself with both feet on the same line. Try this too and you’ll see that it doesn’t look quite so natural and probably doesn’t feel so natural either.
– Always make sure you have a small gap between your feet when you’re standing; you’ll look rather stiff and tense if you keep them tight together.
– Try to distribute 40 per cent of your weight through your heels and 60 per cent through the ball of your foot and your toes. This brings your body position slightly forward and helps you to look more alert and interested.
– If you’re presenting to a group, as long as you don’t march up and down, there’s nothing wrong with moving a little as you talk. It’ll help you to look more relaxed. It should also help you to engage everyone in the group. Try moving your body to face people when you look at them, perhaps when asking or answering a question. Even if it’s just your upper body this can help to create a stronger link with them and send a confident message.
These simple changes in your posture and stance will help you to come across with more self-confidence and should also help you to feel more confident.
They’ll also help you to look more prominent. The reason for this is simple – having an open posture automatically takes up more space. It sends a physical message that you’re not afraid. It also stops you looking defensive or shy.
For more tips on confident body language read my blog; Confident body language – 2 tricks everyone should know.
Look, feel and be more confident
THE 4 STEP CONFIDENCE PLAN – A great place to start. Download our Free 4 Step Confidence Plan.
FREE RESOURCES – Just browsing? Check out our Blog and Free Resources.
ONE DAY COURSES – Kick start your confidence. Feel and see an immediate difference.
ON-LINE CONFIDENCE COURSE – There’s no pressure. Learn in your own time at your own pace.
10 Things You Can Start Today To Overcome Low Self Esteem
If you’re struggling to overcome low self esteem, it’s likely you’re vulnerable to what you… READ MORE
Confidence Body Language: 2 Tricks Everyone Should Know
When someone shows confidence through their body language, we automatically… READ MORE
Overcoming Negative Thinking
Video: Discover what confident people do to stay on the positive side of the line… READ MORE
Trouble Remembering Names? Here’s a Simple Strategy that Works
If you have trouble remembering names, don’t blame your memory. Use this… READ MORE
Is Your Communication Style Helping or Hindering You Being Confident?
Discover how to get people to listen to you. Subtle tweaks can make a big difference… READ MORE